Friday, January 11, 2013

Cheers.

Night 1-
I leave work and pick up Madelyn feeling a little under the weather.  I get her ready for bed (bath, dinner, bottle..normal routine) and thankfully she goes down without a hitch.  I couldn't eat dinner and I started to feel the chills.  I tell myself it won't happen, I can't afford to get sick, crawl into bed at 830 and pray I feel better the next morning (the thing that changes when you become a mom is you can't use your sick days for when you are sick because you have to bank them up for when your kids get sick).  I know that if I wake up aching, I'm still going into work.  Clayton gets home and I tell him I feel bad so he opts to sleep in the guest room, thinking he will avoid the germs. Ha.  2:50am- Clayton wakes me up and tells me Madelyn has been throwing up for 2 hours.  He is covered in puke and two sets of sheets are completely soaked along with the only mattress cover we have (reminding me I need to buy another one).  He hands her to me and she starts gagging. She reeks of puke, but other than that she seems perfectly happy.  She throws up..then laughs and wants to play with the dog.  An hour later and she is finally asleep.  My sweet husband sleeps in the room with her (now that I think about it not the best move, but nonetheless, oh so sweet..that's a real man right there).  I start the laundry and lay back down for a couple of hours hoping everyone is miraculously better in the morning (or later morning).  2 hours later Madelyn is awake and happy, but the nurse insists she comes in  to see the doctor.  My thinking was that it was somehow related to her ear infections and the shots she got the weekend before, but I was wrong.  It's a stomach bug, which means no work for me and no daycare for her.  So we head home.  By this point I have forgotten I even felt sick the day before.

Night 2-
Madelyn seems better and I think the worst is over.  SURE.  3am- Clayton wakes up with a migraine and gets sick for three hours straight.  I realize I have to take Madelyn to daycare and race to get everything ready, put her in the car, drop her off, and honestly feel relieved to be at work away from the madness.  That is short lived because the daycare calls me around 1230 pm and says that Madelyn has diarrhea so badly her hiney is so red it is burning her...and she has been crying all morning.  Feeling like mother of the year, I assure them that I thought her bug was gone, but I would be there very soon.  Thankfully, Clayton went to get her and the two sicklings stayed home together...

Night 3-
 I come home to Madelyn's clothes soaked in poop (not just a couple of spots, Im talking fully soiled, Clayton had to spray her down in the tub).  I start the laundry again (after of course rinsing them out) and start sanitizing my germ infested house.  I opened the windows and wiped down everything.  Madelyn seemed to be doing pretty well and Clayton had some color in his face (doctor said he had a virus and was very dehydrated) so I began to feel that we were on the way up.  I follow our normal routine (bath (the child's skin is pretty much falling off she has been bathed so much, dinner (cheerios), and bottle/ pedalite).  Clayton opts to sleep in the guest room (to spare me from the germs) so I go to sleep alone hoping everything is normal (whatever that is) in the morning.  And of course that is completely short lived.  I woke up around 1030 to Madelyn, yet again throwing up....I bring her into my room, give her some more pedalite, and try to rock her to sleep....and of course, start another load of laundry.  But, she is not even remotely tired.  She jumps on Lily and tries to ride her and rolls around the bed, I eventually just give in and skype my mom and dad (weird I know...but I feel like someone needs to witness the scene) and just laugh my ass off about how nuts it all is.  And it wasn't over, as soon as Madelyn falls asleep, Clayton wakes up again throwing his guts up.  Shortly after that, Madelyn wakes up at the crack of dawn starving because she had puked and pooped out about half her body weight the past two days.  I tell Clayton I am very sorry he is sick, but I have to go to work and he will have to manage (hey I did it when I had mastitis..if you have had it you understand...and worked while having contractions....).  Madelyn eventually falls asleep in my bed with me and we cat nap.  I wake up, late, shower quickly, not even brushing my hair, and speed to work.  Clayton calls shortly telling me that he is feeling a little better, but Madelyn has pooped 6 times already and has puked again.  All I can do is laugh (while feeling badly for my little angel, but you just have to laugh sometimes) and tell him I would be home after work....

Night 4...I think-
M and C are sleeping and Momma is sipping her wine....not getting my hopes up that tonight will not be yet another adventure...

Love to all of the moms, especially the working moms with multiple children, you are my heroes

xoxo
ash

No comments:

Post a Comment