Thursday, March 8, 2012

Schedules, diapers, and feedings (and feedings, and feedings, and feedings!!!)

Madelyn is a week old! I can't even believe it. Mom and I were driving to the outlets today (Madelyn's first big outing and the first time in her stroller, so fun:) around the time I went into labor (for the last time) a week ago and started talking about her birth.  Whew, so glad she is here:)

This past week has been super busy.  Madelyn had her first checkup and I have to admit that I bawled when the nurse pricked her heel to draw blood...and continued to cry through the rest of her visit.  I am very pleased with her pediatrician and so thankful we were able to get in with her.  We did learn that Madelyn was very jaundice and had to be put on a billi blanket to lower her levels.  She had lost weight since birth and leaving the hospital so the doctor put us on a strict feeding schedule.  We had to supplement nursing with a bottle (of my milk fortunately), which I was not comfortable with at first.  But, I quickly learned it is a great way to have Clayton involved and gives him some special bonding time with her.  Plus, he absolutely loves feeding her.....So, after two days of some phototherapy and tons of feedings and dirty diapers, her weight increased 5 oz and her levels dropped drastically.  After another check up with her doctor, Madelyn is doing great and Mommy is way more relaxed..I only cried for half of her doctor's visit this time:)

Clayton and I are so lucky to have so many people to support us.  My mom has been a saint and has taken on so much responsibility.  I honestly believe she is the energizer bunny, the women just keeps going and going.  She cooks, cleans, and helps with feedings, diapers, burping, and anything else I need.  She has done laundry around the clock and the dishwasher is always running and emptied with bottles and breast pump accessories.  All always ready for when I need to use them.  I have been extremely tired this past week, but Mom has made it a million times easier on both Clayton and I and we are so grateful for her.  My sisters have also been amazing.  Lauren was able to be at the hospital right after Madelyn was born and I am so glad she got to experience that time with us.  Kimber drove up on Friday and stayed until Thursday.  It was her spring break. Most 20 years olds are partying in the Bahamas, but Kimber chose to come to Gboro and help with cooking, laundry, and even staying up at night so Clayton and I could get some sleep.  She never complained once and did everything with a huge smile.  Plus she took a billion pictures and captured every moment of the first week of Madelyn's life:)  And while my brother hasn't met Madelyn yet, he has called us continuously to check on her, which means a ton to me:)  We've also had friends bring us dinners, family come visit, and so much support from so many people, we couldn't be more blessed.  Madelyn is definitely very loved.

We made it through the first week alive and Clayton and I even got to go on a date.  I have to admit I thought about Madelyn for most of the time, but it was good to get out of the house and spend some time together.

Here's to another week of nursing, diapers, and little sleep:)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Ash and Clayton! You are so blessed to have a healthy baby and so much help around. Lots of love from the Jacobs Fam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so proud of you guys a blog is an awesome idea for us all to see.

    ReplyDelete